I got a free teeth whitening kit with custom trays as a promotion from my new dentist. At first, I was so pleased with the results after just a few weeks. My teeth looked so much brighter! However, it didn’t last very long — they’ve gone back to their usual shade. I’m due to go back in for a check-up anyway. Did my dentist give me a poor quality kit on purpose, so I’d come back in for a real whitening? Or is it just a coincidence?
Alice, from Versailles, Kentucky
The whitening kit you received was likely a professional-grade whitening kit. How long your teeth whitening lasts is based on several factors, such as:
- Whether you drink coffee, tea, or red wine
- Whether you eat dark-colored foods like tomato sauce, soy sauce, or curry
- Whether you are a smoker
If you enjoy any of the above to excess, your teeth will stain more quickly. Enjoying them in moderation, along with healthy oral habits, will extend how long your teeth whitening lasts.
To prevent staining your teeth, try the following tips:
- Avoid eating acidic foods — they will wear down your enamel faster
- Brush your teeth after meals or at least 2-3 times a day
- Avoid sipping on acidic beverages such as coffee or tea, or sugary beverages like cola or sports drinks. Drink them quickly, or use a straw to minimize contact. If you can, brush your teeth immediately after.
- Cut back or quit smoking.
You can also use your whitening kit for a few days to get your teeth back to the shade you like, and talk to your dentist about your options at your next visit.
This blog post is brought to you by Baton Rouge teeth whitening provider, Dr. Ryan P. Perry.